The ugly side of flying/owning my F-35 EDF RC jet eventually happened. It wasn't pilot error for a change but the cheapo ESC and motor. That survived a lot longer than I thought, I might add. The culprit was the ESC I am pretty sure.

What happened was I plugged in my fully charged LiPo, ready for another fully sick flight. But...the ESC started making funny sounds and would not "arm". Servos worked but I had no throttle management. Unplugged, replugged few times to try and reset it. In till at about 50% throttlesetting the motor worked but sounded rough and started pulsing. One more flight???

I was desperate for a flight. There was not a breath of wind and I felt abit adventurous. So I launched it into the blue sky. Flew around at full throttle, did a few barrel rolls. Then silence...no more motor....no worries I''ll just glide in.....but then no more control. I was lucky it was low and it's made of foam. It crashed into a fence breaking a aileron and denting the wing badly and the intake scopes. Nothing abit of epoxy didn't fix. When I retrieved the RC jet the motor was boiling and so was the ESC. Mmmmmm......

I brought a new 30amp ESC to see if the motor was OK, but nothing. The 3800kv cheapo brushless motor is officially dead. My local hobby shop didn't have any motors to my KV rating, so I found one on a online hobby shop that sells EDF stuff. Will have to wait for it but this one is 4200KV rating, so a worth while wait. Will let you know how this performs.
Stay tuned!

0 comments



Recommended Money Makers

  • Chitika eMiniMalls
  • WidgetBucks
  • Text Link Ads
  • AuctionAds
  • Amazon Associates